Robert Bruce Banner
Dayton, Ohio, USA
Brown (as Bruce Banner)
Brown (as Bruce Banner)
|Chronological and political information|
Gamma Physicist, Avenger
|Image gallery (30)|
- "HULK SMASH!!!!"
Robert Bruce Banner was a normal human scientist until he was exposed to gamma radiation which turned him into a big green monster called the Hulk. He is one of the first five founding heroes of the Avengers and serves as the main powerhouse of the team.
At some point in his life, Bruce Banner was a weak-bodied but brilliant scientist who was doused with gamma radiation during a freak accident, which enabled him to turn into The Incredible Hulk when under intense stress. The destructive behavior of his monstrous alter-ego caused the U.S. military, for whom he was working on the gamma bomb project, to start giving him chase. Because of this, Bruce has spent his days on the run, trying to keep a low profile in public places in order not to get into trouble mostly from Ross and his Hulkbusters.
Hulk versus the World
He was last spotted in Las Vegas, NV. In a diner on the city's outskirts, he approached Carl Creel, a.k.a. Absorbing Man, and tried to talk the villain into helping him out, promising to heal his condition in return. Instead, Creel attacked him, as he knew that Bruce was the Hulk and witnessing the transformation. This resulted in a full-scale brawl between the two on the Nevada desert, which culminated with S.H.I.E.L.D. interfering. In spite of the Hulk's efforts to avoid any casualties (even going out of his way to save S.H.I.E.L.D. operative Barbara Morse), he was incapacitated and taken under S.H.I.E.L.D.'s custody.
In the Cube, Bruce is locked up in his cell. Samson visited him to tell him about his condition and the curing of the other persona. Bruce was worried about the Cube prison and warned Samson that he is being used by S.H.I.E.L.D.
After a blackout happened, an explosion occured freeing Bruce, but still captivated by the boulder that fell on top of him. He is soon freed by gamma radiated Samson. Zzzax approached them and knocked Samson out and zapped Bruce, making him angry and transformed into the Hulk. Hulk took care of Zzzax and carried Samson, he encountered Abomination and Absorbing Man and fought them for a while and escaped the prison along with Samson.
Hulk went to the Vital diner and brought Samson to the waitress. He watched the news of the destructive fight between Graviton and Thor and was interrupted by Banner in his own vision. He agreed with Banner to become a hero despite being known as a monster, in condition having control of the mind and body.
When Graviton attacked the city, he came to the rescue and took on the villain Graviton. With his strength and density could overcome the gravitational powers of the villains and along with Wasp, Ant Man, Iron Man and Thor crumbled Graviton to his knees. After they defeated Graviton, they were approached by S.H.I.E.L.D. who were going to take Hulk and Graviton into custody. The Hulk was defended by Iron Man and was considered to be a hero. The heroes together by Iron Man's suggestion formed as a team and by Wasp's name suggestion became the Avengers, which the Hulk liked.
After becoming the Avengers, he was invited to see the Avengers mansion where he would stay with Thor. Hulk arrived in time for the tour complaining about the others' late arrivals. At the tour around the mansion, he took on the training sessions and succeeded. He along with the others arrived at the assembly hall, he talked with Bruce inside his mind, putting suspiciousness to the other Avengers. The Hulk argued with Thor about his behaviour and left to his room. Bruce wanted to contact him but was sealed by the Enchantress. With Hulk becoming enraged, he decided to quit and after talking with Thor he left the mansion.
Hulk walked through the city scaring people around him. He was approached by Thor who wanted him to return to the mansion. Hulk pitted in a fight against the Asgardian. The other Avengers arrived and tried to calm Hulk down, but by Enchantress' spell, he was on a rampage. Before Hulk could finish the Wasp off, Bruce released himself from Enchantress spell and the Hulk went calm. He realized what he has done and left the scene. He discussed with Bruce who consoled the Hulk and made him return. The Hulk fought against the Enchantress and the Exeuctioner, with the latter trying to control him and Hulk freed from the spell. After the enemies fled, Thor tried to convince the Hulk to stay, but Hulk still decided to quit the scene and leaves. He went to the Artic to relieve his anger.
Game of the world
While on the run, Hulk was spotted in Canada by Ross' Hulkbusters and was attacked by a squadron of Hulkbuster Tanks supported by one Hulkbuster Attack Helicopter. Hulk was nearly captured but Hawkeye came to aid him and defeat the Hulkbusters. He told Hulk he needed to talk to Banner as everyone in the world would die. The Hulk relented and changed into Banner. After being briefed on the situation Banner created an antidote to the Gamma cloud for the Avengers and gave the Hulk control to enter Las Vegas.
The Leader offered Hulk a place in his Gamma World but Hulk refused. As Hawkeye battled the mutated Avengers, Thor battled Absorbing Man the Hulk sparred once again with Abomination. A device was fitted onto Blonsky making him twice as strong as Hulk. The Leader then interferred with a battlesuit. Hulk used the two strength against them. Thor sent Absorbing Man flying into the Leader as Hawkeye adminstered the cure into the satellite mutating Vegas curing everyone. Abomination was blown away in all the fighting.
After the Leader and Absorbing Man were in custody of S.H.I.E.L.D. Hulk was offered to rejoin the Avengers. He said he would so long as Hawkeye joined as well. Hawkeye, along with the Hulk, agreed.
Masters of Evil
At the Avengers mansion, Hulk watched TV, until he was ambushed by the Enchantress and Abomination. They sent him through a dimensional portal to Jotunheim, where he was ambushed by several Frost Giants. Hulk was brought back to the Assembly Hall by Thor, survived from the cold and the fight against the Frost Giants. Hulk fought against the Enchantress until she was ordered to flee with the other Masters via teleportation. They went to the living room where they discussed the intentions of the Masters of Evil.
Hulk was called along with Thor and Iron Man to the hospital where Carol was taken care of. The Hulk listened to the story of Mar-Vell, until Wasp ordered to smash him which Hulk longed for. The Hulk released him when Mar-Vell wanted to help them from being destroyed by the Kree. Hulk along with the others went to the site of the Sentry-459, they attacked the robot, but was nearly indestructible. After Wasp took care of the robot from the inside, the mega bomb was set to detonate the whole planet, which Hulk arrogantly claimed that he could survive. After Thor send off the Mega bomb to the vast reaches of space, they went to hospital where Hank was wounded of the fight but survived.
Kang the Conqueror
Hulk along with Hawkeye watched in humour how Tony was beaten by Steve Rogers in boxing. When Kang went back to time to warn them of upcoming future, Hulk ambushed him from behind. He fought against Kang and hold him to let the others ask him some questions. The Hulk released him when Kang attacked them with energy bolts. Kang showed Hulk along with other the Avengers the future of the distastrous planet Earth. Hulk was annoyed by Kang by his accusation of the destroyed planet being Captain America's fault, he tried to attacked him but was beaten by him. The Avengers distracted Kang long enough until Iron Man brought them back to the present. Back at the present, Hulk witnessed Kang fled the scene back to the Damocles.
Kang's army rampaged the city, the Avengers took on the robots but were indestructible. Captain America ordered Hulk to save Giant Man, which he ignored at first. The Hulk fought off against the robots along with Hawkeye on the bridge, where they formed into a huge robot, but was eventually destroyed by the Avengers and they took on the space ships as well.
Hulk went into space with the other avengers to fight Kang. He fought his servents and robots. However, he was unable to destory the time drive because of a sheild surrounding it. Iron Man tried to use it, but was stopped by Wasp who told them that Kang was trying to save his wife, Ravonna. Kang was later defeated and imprisioned in Prison 42.
When the summer was hot, Hulk was in the pool while Wasp and Hawkeye sunbathed. When Malekith froze the planet, Hulk was frozen in the pool. Hawkeye and Wasp left him there and got dressed so they could fight the dark elf spirits without getting frostbite. Hulk got out of the frozen pool and found Hawkeye. He was angry about the incident, but he fought the dark elf spirits. He and Hawkeye were almost defeated until Thor, Iron Man, and Black Panther defeated Malekith and closed the Casket of Ancint Winters, sending the dark elfs back home. When Hulk and Hawkeye asked what happened, Wasp claimed that she beat everybody.
Hulk watched Hawkeye shoot an apple when the power went out. He and the other avengers were about to investagate when Black Widow entered the Mansion. Wasp told him to smash her, and after he did that, she told the avengers that HYDRA and A.I.M were fighting over the Cosmic Cube. Hulk teamed up with Captain America to defend New York. Captain America told Hulk that he was a hero and always does the right thing. Hulk then destroyed HYDRA's robots. After the battle, he and the other avengers celerbrated their victory over HYDRA.
When Hulk was on one of the Nine Realms after defeating the Executioner and claiming his Asgardian axe as his new weapon, he freed the imprisoned Asgardian warriors from Loki's forces. The Warriors Three respected him as Hulk has the gift of battle and Hulk was happy about this.
Reuniting with the Avengers, they defeated Loki with their skills and strategy. Hulk was among with the Avengers being praised by the Asgardians for saving them all and the Asgardians has their trust.
After the end of the war, Bruce was walking with the others saying good night to Steve before the latter was replaced by the Skrull. It is stated that Hulk was tired from all the fighting on Asgard.
When the Fantasic Four came to Avengers Mansion, Hulk attacked the Thing and later did a card game with him, Human Torch, and the other avengers. The Thing revealed to have a full house gloating about his victory, which made the Hulk enraged and attacked him the second time. When Doombots attacked them, Hulk destoryed them and went with the Fantastic Four and the other avengers to rescue Wasp and Invisable Woman from Doctor Doom. They freed them and left. They talked about Doom's intentions and did not noctice that Invisible Woman was really a Skrull.
Hulk was on monitor when the rest of Avengers where celebrating Ms. Marvel's invitation to the Avengers. He was watched by Black Panther, who was on Hulk duty. Hulk was stressed at the silent panther and stated that he talked too much, which confused the former.
After the Avengers returned, they were confronted by Iron Man who had suspiciousness on Skrull who infiltrated the Avengers. After Iron Man accused Hawkeye of being one, Hulk backed him up and fought alongside him against Ms. Marvel. Captain America made them stop, Iron Man, Ms. Marvel and Black Panther left the team. Hulk along with Hawkeye was about to be ready to leave, but was stopped by Captain America who convinced them to stay and accepted it alongside Hawkeye and Wasp and became the remaining Avengers.
Nightmare In Red
As Bruce Banner, he was outside New York, fishing. Hawkeye was watching over him and admitted he liked Hulk better. When they returned to the Mansion, Falcon attacked them. Hawkeye managed to drive him away, but then a Red-Skinned Hulk captured Banner and forced him to become Hulk. Hulk, Hawkeye, Wasp, and Captain America defeated Red Hulk, but Hulk was arrested by the Hulkbusters because they thought he attacked S.H.I.E.L.D. when it was really Red Hulk who attacked them.
Return to the Avengers
After clearing his name for the crimes committed by Red Hulk, Hulk (who was unaware of Captain America being replaced by a Skrull due to being imprrisioned during the rest of the Skrull Invasion and later on even) attacks Captain America because he believed Captain America imprisioned him and then escapes. The Avengers eventually find Hulk and Captain America attempts to reason with him but fails forcing the Avengers to attack him. However Hulk easilly defeats all the Avengers but gets taken down by the Red Hulk. When Red Hulk joins the Avengers and starts committing Heroic acts, Captain America becomes suspicious of Red Hulk and also worries about Bruce. Captain America secretly goes to the Shield facility where Bruce was being held. Wasp (who tags along with Cap without him noticing) looks at the back of Bruce's head and finds a device that is being used to "trigger" the Hulk's anger. While attempting to destroy the device with her stingers, Wasp wakes up Bruce who immediately transforms into the Hulk. Hulk who angrily grabs the Captain but before he can harm him, Wasp destroys the device calming Hulk which makes Hulk realize that it wasn't Captain America who betrayed him. Immediately, the Red Hulk arrives with the Avengers. Hulk then immediately attacks Red Hulk and the two get into an ensuing battle. Red Hulk then attempts to use the button that "triggers" Hulk's anger but is surprised when it doesn't work. The two then continue to fight. Iron Man reveals that he planted an implant on Red Hulk's Avengers ID card which he activates to return Red Hulk to his human form revealing him to be General Ross. With Ross exposed and put in jail for good, Hulk is given a new Avengers ID card and offered to rejoin the Avengers. However, Hulk says no and wants to be alone for a while but says they can call if they need him.
During the Galactus Invasion, Hulk (along with many heroes) joins the Avengers with the Code White (team) in a battle against Galactus and his Heralds. He goes with Ant-Man, Winter Soldier, the Black Panther, and the Invisible Woman to fight Firelord and destroy his tower. Hulk delivers the final blow to the Herald. Galactus is defeated and sent to the Negative Zone. Hulk stands with the Avengers when they were hailed as Earth's Mightiest Heroes.
Bruce Banner's persona has a rather weak build, while being chased by various people and little time taking care of himself. He has a scruffy beard, brown messy hair, and brown eyes. Bruce wears dark blue jeans and a hoodie for hiding his face, and a white shirt underneath.
When Bruce gets excited or mad he grows into a large green man with large muscles. He also rips out of his clothes with only his ripped pants remaining. His eyes and hair turn into dark green as well. And his scruffy beard will disappear too.
Bruce is a genius as an expert in gamma radiation. He is overly sarcastic by guessing Hawkeye's joke. After having exposed to the gamma bomb he gained another personality that is monstrous, called the Hulk, that he can change into after his heart rate goes at a certain point by getting too excited or angry. He tries to maintain his heart rate by calming himself down, but it seems that he's able to bring out Hulk by will alone (it could be theorized that Bruce's heart rate is something he cannot always control, thus he can sometimes bring out the Hulk not by his will). Bruce cares for people especially ones that have been radiated with gamma rays, even trying to help Absorbing Man. Bruce distrusts S.H.I.E.L.D., as he thinks that they will use the gamma radiated mutants as weapons of mass destruction for themselves.
As the Hulk, he is very agressive especially when he changed into the Hulk when he was angry, after changing into the Hulk he causes destruction to his surroundings and beats anything in his path. After some time, Hulk respected people and had the thought of helping them instead of hurting them, such as when the Hulk rescued Hawkeye's men from a helicopter crash. Hulk can talk with Bruce as his dormant persona and decided to join the Avengers to help innocent people and show them that he can be good in exchange for staying as the Hulk. Hulk is very egotistical when it comes to his fighting prowess calling himself the strongest there is and laughing at Hawkeye when he said he could take him down. He is also very gruff, and sometimes grumpy, and very rarely shows any emotion other than anger, though he does have a soft side. He can get along with people very well, but can be easily irritated by others if they think that Hulk is only a monster. Hulk has a trait to call people by nicknames that he comes up with, like calling Thor "Goldie Locks" and Hawkeye "Cupid".
General Ross is the Hulk's archenemy. In leading the Hulkbusters, he was so obsessed in capturing or possibly destroy the Hulk over the years whatever means necessary. Hulk possibly hates him more than Ross hates him.
He is the arch enemy (next to Ross) or arch rival of Hulk, they have known each other for several years.
Wasp is Hulk's second best friend. She helped him in a fight against Graviton and gained Hulk's trust. He now took orders from her in every battle they fought and in free time. She can guide him to the right choice in everyway.
Hawkeye is Hulk's best friend. When they first met, he was an enemy to Hulk, but when the Leader unleashed the Gamma Dome, he went to the Hulk for help and gained his trust in a condition if he stays in the Avengers with him. Hulk also defended Hawkeye when he was accused of being a Skrull and stood with him against both Iron Man and Ms. Marvel when they tried to take him into custody. Hulk often lets Hawkeye ride on his back for a long high jump which scares him much to the Hulk's delight.
Thing is a frequent brawl rival of the Hulk. When Thing and Human Torch visited the mansion to play poker with the other Avengers, Hulk had immediately attacked Thing as if he knew him before. Afterwards, the Hulk attacked Thing again after losing a card game to him, used him as a living weapon to fight the Doombots, and pushed him out of the Quinjet.
The Hulk seems to be greatly inspired by the Captain especially after the Super Soldier calls him an honorable warrior and would follow his orders without protest. This is further proven by the fac tthat when everyone thinks he has turned into a raging monster, only Captain America had faith in him throughout (Wasp at first thought he was turning into a monster but realized Captain America was right and helped him free Hulk from the military).
The Hulk, at first, is mad at Thor for thinking that he is a "monster". He then states that "at least S.H.I.E.L.D. and Ross are honest about it". Later, however, he considers Thor a friend after Thor calls him a worthy warrior in Gamma World. He even punches Ultron in Ultron Imperative yelling, "This one's for Thor!" as he's avenging Thor's "supposed-to-be" death.
Powers & Abilities
- Transformation: Due to the gamma radiation that has mutated his body, Bruce Banner is able to transform between his normal, unpowered human form and the form of one of the most powerful superhumans on Earth. Bruce can activate by force of will. In addition, this transformation has led to a dual conciousness, with one being Bruce Banner and the other the Hulk. As of now, the Hulk is in charge of their shared body. He has only transformed back into Banner a handful of times. In other media the transformation is often caused by anger or stress, and in this show the opposite was once shown to be the case (when Hawkeye made the Hulk laugh so hard he reverted to Dr. Banner).
- Superhuman Strength: As the Hulk, he has virtually unlimited superhuman strength at his disposal. He is strong enough to match and surpass his teammate Thor in combat, as well as break through the incredibly powerful gravitational influences of the villain Graviton. He is easily able to heft objects like tanks with one hand and use them akin to a baseball bat. This strenght also allows him to leap incredible distances. The Hulk's strength increases when he is angry, and this is something that has led to the downfall of many villains. Like he is in the comics, The Hulk's stength fluxes depending on his emotional state. It is said when he is "calm" he can lift up to 90 tons. But when enraged or exited, the Hulk's strength grows to where he can lift easily well over 100 tons.
- Weaponizing: As the Hulk, he had to make something useful out from any object he can find and used them as melee and ranged weapons like tanks, missile launchers, signboards, and cars on foes.
- Accelerated Healing Factor: Hulk can heal even the most serious wounds within seconds.
- Superhuman Longevity: Hulk can live forever due to his healing factor.
- Superhuman Durability: As the Hulk, Banner possesses near-invulnerability toward all types of harm. He has been struck with bullets, laser cannons, powerful magical and technological energy blasts, and falls from great heights with no injury. Hulk has even shown tremendous confidence in his durability to the point that he believed he would survive a bomb capable of destroying a planet. His Durability is similar to that of Thor.
As Bruce Banner
- Genius-level intellect: In his Bruce Banner persona, Bruce possesses a genius level intellect, especially when it comes to Gamma Energy and Radiation. He was able to create a successful cure for the Leader's gamma energy projector in a very short period of time.
- Average stamina: Bruce also has quite a bit of stamina, having outrun a policeman who spotted him in Las Vegas.
- Like in the comics, the Hulk is the first founding member of the Avengers to leave the team.
- While he retains his usual appearance & super-strength, This version of the Hulk is much more smarter (unless he is upset beyond belief) than the other versions through the fact that he is not just the team berserker that they point at something to hit, has the ability of speaking in full sentences while occasionally referring to himself in the third person, & understands and uses sarcasm. Therefore, This portrayal owes more to the Hulk as he was originally depicted in the comics by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.
Background in other media
- This is the tenth animated incarnation of the Hulk. Previous versions include Hulk (part of The Marvel Super heroes), The Incredible Hulk (1982), The Incredible Hulk (1996), Ultimate Avengers, Ultimate Avengers 2, The Super Hero Squad Show, Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow, Hulk Vs. (Hulk Vs. Thor, Hulk Vs. Wolverine) and Planet Hulk.
- Hulk appeared in several live-action and series including The Incredible Hulk TV series, Hulk, The Incredible Hulk and in The Avengers, the last two are the same continuity from Marvel Cinematic Universe.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 "Breakout, Part 1". Christopher Yost (writer) & Sebastian Montes (director). The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. October 20, 2010. No. 1, Season one.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 "Breakout, Part 2". Christopher Yost (writer) & Vinton Heuck (director). The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. October 20, 2010. No. 2, Season one.
- ↑ "Some Assembly Required". Brandon Auman (writer) & Sebastian Montes (director). The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. October 27, 2010. No. 8, Season one.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 "Some Assembly Required". Brandon Auman (writer) & Sebastian Montes (director). The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. October 27, 2010. No. 8, Season one.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 "Gamma World, Part 2". Michael Ryan (writer) & Sebastian Montes (director). The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. November 26, 2010. No. 13, Season one.
- ↑ "Masters of Evil". Christopher Yost (writer) & Sebastian Montes (director). The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. December 5, 2010. No. 14, Season one.
- ↑ "459". Joelle Sellner (writer) & Vinton Heuck (director). The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. December 12, 2010. No. 15, Season one.
- ↑ "The Man Who Stole Tomorrow". Andrew Robinson (writer) & Sebastian Montes (director). The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. January 9, 2011. No. 17, Season one.
- ↑ "Come the Conqueror". Eugene Son (writer) & Vinton Heuck (director). The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. January 16, 2011. No. 18, Season one.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 "Who Do You Trust?". Brian Reed (writer) & Gary Hartle (director). The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. May 13, 2012. No. 7, Season two.
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 "Hulk vs the World". Kevin Burke & Chris Wyatt (writers) & Sebastian Montes (director). he Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. October 24, 2010. No. 5, Season one.
|Iron Man • Thor • Hulk • Ant-Man • Wasp|
New Members Season 1
|Captain America • Black Panther • Hawkeye|
New Members Season 2
|Captain America (Skrull) • Ms. Marvel • Vision • Red Hulk • Spider-Man|