Captain America's Shield is a very unique and powerful shield that can withstand any blow or blast and can be thrown very hard at the target then bouncing to other foes before going back to Captain America, the main user.
The Vibranium from which the shield was made was sent as a gift to President Roosevelt from T'Chaka. Howard Stark used the vibranium to create a unique battle shield for Captain America to use it as his main battle weapon to fight against HYDRA during World War II. Before this he used a different shield based on the same design but this shield was different from the next version.
When Captain America fell into the ice after the explosion, he and his shield were frozen for decades until the 21st century when the Avengers found him in the Arctic Circle while looking for the Hulk. As Cap woke up, he mistook the Avengers as HYDRA agents and engaged them in combat until Wasp shows him the memorial statue of him and Bucky near the Statue of Liberty. After realizing that he's in the modern century, he fell into lethargy and put down his shield then left.
His lethargy had left him as Baron Zemo, Captain America's archenemy, infiltrated the Avengers Mansion to kill him. As Zemo is about to kill him, Cap's shield was thrown by Black Panther to save him before disappearing. Regaining his shield back, he immediately fought and defeated Zemo who in turn threw a time bomb near an unconscoius Wasp and then left. But Cap saved her by placing his shield near the bomb before it exploded.
Captain America continued using his shield before Loki destroyed his vibranium shield with the OdinForce thus forcing him to use Lady Sif's shield to battle him and assist the Avengers.
The remains of his shield were kept by Cap inside his room in the aftermath. It was later repaired by using a Vibranium machine that fused the pieces back together again.
Captain America's shield resembles the American flag. It has white lines and a star in the middle. It is primarily red and shares all traits of the flag.
Types of Shields and Abilites
- Vibranium Shield: An indestructible battle shield that can be used as a melee an ranged weapon created by Howard Stark. It is impervious to most attacks including bullets, grenades, rockets, fire, and lasers. It was used by Captain America from World War II until the 21st century, Destroyed by Loki with magic. Later restored by Black Panther's sonic beam machine.
- Original Shield: A highly-durable shield originally used by Cap before he resorted using his current shield. Later used it against the Serpent Society but was left in dented state.
- Energy Shield: An energy absorbing shield that can extends its size at any time created by Tony Stark aka Iron Man. It was used by the Captain America (Skrull). Destroyed by the real Captain America with a hard stone. Later rebuilt with new modifications (can create a huge force field around the user and others; create an energy weapon; and fire lasers). Briefly used by Hawkeye to prove to Cap that the energy shield is the best to use, but was immediately destroyed by his android doppleganger. After Cap's android clone was destroyed by a few missiles, he used the energy shield so he could infiltrate Ultron's lair and rescue the captured Avengers.
- Baron Zemo (Very Briefly)
- Captain America
- Captain America (Skrull) (Formerly)
- Hawkeye (Very Briefly)
- Iron Man (Very Briefly)
- In the most recent Avengers films, the shield was shown to be able to reflect attacks.