Protection on Avengers wiki refers to giving a page a special status that only allows administrators and sysops to edit a page. There are a number of reasons that a page may be protected.
- Certain pages are protected permanently by default, for the following reasons:
- The page is written in plain HTML, allowing malicious scripts to be added.
- Vandalism of the page would be extremely disruptive, for example, changing the text of the side panel.
- Changes to certain pages can cause the wiki to stop working.
- Protecting the Main Page from vandalism.
- Maintaining the integrity of copyright and license policies.
- Maintaining the integrity of past press releases.
- Protecting certain "system administration" pages.
- Forcing a "cool-down" period to stop an edit war, on request.
- Protecting a page that has been subject to persistent vandalism or persistent edits by a blocked editor.
- Preventing changes to a page while investigating for a bug.